Dress and Grooming
Summitt’s dress code follows the Districts's Dress Code: https://www.austinisd.org/sites/default/files/dept/family-support/StudentDressCode_2019-20-ENG.pdf
The District’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, instill discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards, and teach respect for authority. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the general guidelines and student dress code outlined in this packet and the District’s administrative regulation and policy.
Students shall be dressed and groomed in a manner that is clean and neat and that will not be a health or safety hazard to themselves or others. Shoes should be worn at all times. The District prohibits any clothing or grooming that in the principal’s judgment may reasonably be expected to cause disruption of or interference with normal school operations. The District prohibits pictures, emblems, or writings on clothing that: are lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene. Advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance prohibited under policy FNCF(LEGAL).
1. Basic Principle: Certain body parts must be covered for all students at all times.
- Clothes must be worn in a way such that abdomen, genitals, buttocks, breasts and nipples are fully covered with opaque fabric.
- All items listed in the “must wear” and “may wear” categories below must meet this basic principle.
2. Students Must Wear*, while following the basic principle of Section 1 above:
- A shirt (with fabric that touches the waistband in the front, back, and on the sides under the arms), AND
- Pants/jeans or the equivalent (for example, a skirt, sweatpants, leggings, a dress or shorts), AND
3. Students May Wear, as long as these items do not violate Section 1 above:
- Religious headwear
- Hats facing straight forward or straight back and must allow the face and ears to be visible to staff and not interfere with the line of sight
- Hoodie sweatshirts (wearing the hood over head is allowed, but the face and ears must be visible to school staff)
- Fitted pants, including opaque leggings, yoga pants and “skinny jeans”
- Ripped jeans, as long as underwear and buttocks are not exposed
- Tank tops, including spaghetti straps
- Halter tops
- Athletic attire
4. Students Cannot Wear:
- Violent language or images
- Images or language depicting drugs or alcohol (or any illegal item or activity). or any other substance prohibited under FNCF(LEGAL)
- Hate speech, profanity, pornography
- Images or language that creates a hostile or intimidating environment based on any protected class or consistently marginalized groups
- Any clothing that reveals visible undergarments (waistbands and straps excluded)
- Swimsuits (except as required in class, field trips, or athletic practice see “Extracurricular Activities”)
- Accessories that could be considered dangerous or could be used as a weapon
- Any item that obscures the face or ears (except as a religious observance)
Thank you for your assistance in ensuring that your student is dressed appropriately for school success.